Thursday, October 4, 2007

Solid Entertainment

He Doesn’t Make Your Entertainment. He Makes it Sound Better

Since his breakthrough role as Childs in John Carpenter's The Thing (1982), Keith David has made virtually every form of media with audio better in addition to being a notable screen presence in all of his live action roles. You may not recognize Keith David but at some point you have heard him and it is likely that you have seen him since he has been in almost everything. David is blessed with deep, clear, powerful, and haunting voice and he has lent it to many voice projects. Some of his more notable voice appearances include Goliath in the Disney series Gargoyles and in the hugely popular Halo video game series as the Arbiter (Halo 2 and Halo 3).

I know that my world would a very different place if not for Keith David since he has been in virtually all of my favorite films, games, and television throughout the years and I think it is safe to say that your world would be fairly different as well given the incredibly broad scope of work he has done from Requiem for a Dream to the god awful crime against television that is 7th Heaven.

So no matter who you are, you should thank Mr. David for making your life better through his voice and acting prowess.

The Editors

I’m not sure if these guys could look anymore Brit Pop Hipster Rocker if they tried (and from what I can tell their guitar player is really trying) but I have to say I like their sound. They have been compared to bands like Interpol, Arcade Fire, and U2.

I had a chance to catch these guys live about 2 weeks ago and I would argue that the Editors have their own brand of melodic indie pop with relatively insightful lyrics served up by lead singer Tom Smith, but what really sets the Editors apart from the rest of the pack is their unrelenting drum beats, provided by Edward Lay, which really elevate the sound beyond your average local show or one hit wonder. From what I could tell at the show, these guys are really into their music and the only possible downfall I can see for them would be the potential of Smith to develop an ego that is too big for the band as it is already apparent from his excessive posturing during the show that, like many front-men, he revels in the limelight a little bit beyond what is necessary to put on a good show. That being said, on a whole they are all great performers and seem to legitimately have fun on stage, which is always refreshing to see.

If you have a chance to go see them then I recommend you do so before they start to get big and the ticket prices go up, and it couldn’t hurt to pick up their albums at some point.

4 comments:

baxie said...

I gave one of their older discs a go- they were a bit twee for my tastes.

the wife is off to SB today to see the Shins, who I feel kinda the same way about.

I think it's a personal problem....

Tungsten said...

I find the Shins listenable but nothing special. To me, they are not the second coming that some people seems to think they are. I like the Editors more but think they wouldn't be much without their drummer.

baxie said...

oh and Keith David is also the Voice of WWII in the recent Ken Burns documentatry THE WAR.

Not bad for a dude who began his career getting et by an alien!

D. Bethel said...

Hooray for the Keith David fan club. He will always be Goliath to me.