Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Inspired by Pandas

Odd title? Yes, but it makes sense if you check out Panda6.net's most recent posts. Having worked at Papa John's myself, I was inspired by my friend's homemade pizza and decided to take a crack at it myself (with the help of my girlfriend).

I have to admit that we kind of took the easy way out and adapted a yeastless focaccia bread for the crust. If I had more time and/or a bread-maker to prepare the dough for me I probably would have gone with a standard pizza dough but the focaccia worked just fine and was super fast to make. We actually only had to use the first 4 ingredients on the list (replacing the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour) because the rest were geared toward making bread and not rolling out a crust. I did have to roll it out which kind of bummed me out because I wanted to dust off my pizza slapping skills from Papa J's but this dough just doesn't have the same elasticity so I couldn't really throw it around. I also deviated from my formal pizza training by folding over the edge of the crust. My home town pizza place does the folded crust thing and I like the pizza sauce filled crust effect. Topped one half with veggies and the other with chicken and bell pepper while the whole thing got 4 cheeses. I have to say it turned out quite good.

Uncooked Cooked
Uncooked Pizza Cooked Pizza

No comments: